Up with People was founded by J. Blanton Belk in 1965 as a positive voice for young people during a turbulent period in the United States. Its historic path officially began in 1968 when it was incorporated as a 501(c)(3) international, educational non-profit entity.
Over the years, Up with People has become known as a tremendous force in international relations, education, and entertainment. The statistics speak for themselves and we are proud of the impact we have made – and continue to make today.
- More than 21,000 young men and women from more than 102 countries have come together to travel in 180 casts to deliver a common message of hope and goodwill to people around the world, and pursue their own global education and personal growth goals through service, music and travel.
- Up with People has visited more than 4,000 communities in 42 countries;
- Over 3 million hours of community service have been performed by Up with People students;
- 500,000 host families around the world have welcomed Up with People students into their homes;
- An estimated 22 million people worldwide have been directly impacted by Up with People.