If you often experience symptoms like breathlessness on exertion, fatigued and weary, occasional nausea and indigestion, dimness of vision, brittle nails and mouth ulcers etc; you might be Anemic along with decreased haemoglobin levels.
Haemoglobin Assessment for Anemia
In case you seem to possess any or most of these symptoms, or if the colour of your skin and also the inner lining of the eyelids is rather pale, then it is advisable to get your haemoglobin levels assessed so as to rule out the malady of anemia. The normal haemoglobin value for women is 11.5 -16.5 g/dl and for men is 13 – 18 g/dl.
Cause of Anemia
- Insufficient intake of iron rich diet.
- Excessive blood loss in the form of heavy menstruation, blood loss during childbirth, diseases like haemophilia, and accidental blood loss etc.
- Defective absorption of iron from diet due to intestinal worms.
- Formation of defective blood resulting from infections, drugs and toxins.
- Due to malfunctioning of the liver.
Anemia in Ayurveda View
According to Ayurveda, the ailment of anemia manifests due to imbalance or distortion in all the three humors of the body viz. air, fire and phlegm. Therefore, Anemia is categorized into 5 main types
- (a)Anemia due to distortion of the ‘Vatta’ or air body humor.
- (b)Anemia due to vitiation of the ‘Pitta’ or the fire.
- (c)Anemia due to vitiation in the phlegm or ‘Kapha’ humor of the body.
- (d)Anemia due to vitiation of all the three humors.
- (e)Anemia due to intake of toxins.
Natural Herbs for Anemia
- Fresh juice is to be extracted from the herb of wheat grass and taken twice a day. The chlorophyll content present in wheat grass resembles (in structure as well as properties) to a component of blood called ‘Haemin’. It thus aids in improving the blood picture considerably.
- Anemic individual may frequently feast on pomegranate juice. As an herbal home remedy, 20 to 50 ml juice of pomegranate can be taken twice daily.
- Green leafy herbs of spinach, fenugreek, mint and cabbage may be included in everyday diet.
- Powder of Catechu approx. half to one gram with honey twice a day is another effective home remedy for Anemia.
- Citrus fruits oranges, mausambi, figs, apples, guava and grapes are good for anemic patients.
- The fruit of Jamun is highly recommended for those suffering from anemia. This is because jamun tends to tone up the liver and cause an increase in the red blood cells. It consequently improves the blood haemoglobin content.
- The pulp of the ripe fruit of mango taken regularly along with sweetened milk is a natural help in increasing the haemoglobin levels.
Yoga combats Anemia
Naturopathy counsels treatments like enema, hot and cold alternate fomentation packs on the abdomen, bathing in juvenile rays of morning sun and dry massage as valuable help in curing anemia naturally.
Yoga combats Anemia
Surya Namaskar, Saravangasana, Paschimottan Asana, Shava Asana and Yoga Nidra are some yoga poses that may be inculcated in everyday regimen. Other than this, deep breathing techniques or Pranayaam and hand alignments particularly Dhyana Mudra, Gyana mudra and Prana mudra are recommended to alleviate Anemia.
Ayurveda Aids for Anemia
Ayurveda suggests that you need to understand that it is of foremost importance to discover the underlying cause of the disease. Anemia that results from insufficient dietary intake can be more easily corrected mainly by taking iron rich diet and iron supplements. Whereas if the cause is due to improper functioning of liver and the digestive system, then the drugs that tend to recover the functioning of these organs is essentially required. Also, if a person with anemia is also constipated, then it would be of prime need to correct the constipation foremost.
A number of Ayurvedic formulations for anemia that have be tried and tested since ages are immensely popular with Ayurveda physician like Punarnava mandoor, Arogya vardhani, Lohasav, Trifla etc. the best part is that many of these Ayurveda medicinal preparations help improve the blood picture and at the same time work effectively to combat the root cause of anemia.